From Bolly to Holly Freida Pinto

Indian actress Freida Pinto Made is 23 years old, a former model from Bombay who auditioned for melodramatic Bollywood roles, she’s going Hollywood with her film debut, playing a child of the ghetto in Danny Boyle’s "Slumdog Millionaire"



How hard is it to break into India’s film industry?
Frieda Pinto: It’s really difficult. You have to have a godfather or parents who can get you in. I got into modeling for the visibility factor, hoping that portals would open up for me to act. I did a lot of print because people found me too skinny in India to do television. We have the voluptuous, full-figured woman thing. People say I need to get a boob job, but I’m just comfortable the way I am.

Is Bollywood as sleazy as Hollywood is?
Frieda Pinto: Three or four years back, I was auditioning for a film and I met this man who was like, “We can be good friends,” with a twinkle in his eye. I knew where that was coming from, and it didn’t feel right.

Would you ever do nudity or a sex scene?
Frieda Pinto: I don’t think I’d have an issue [doing a love scene], but it all depends on the director—what kind of work he’s done in the past. In India, I probably wouldn’t do something like that; it’s kind of taboo. It usually gets cut off at the censorship board level, so what’s the point of having shot it?

What’s the best way for a guy to approach you?
Frieda Pinto: Back in college, if boys did the most stupid thing, like compose a silly song, I’d listen. It could be something really stupid, like a rap for all I care.

Have you ever used your acting abilities to manipulate men?
Frieda Pinto: Hmm… [Laughs.] If you have it, you gotta use it.